- Mysteria Map
- Theme Camps
- Art & Fire
- Mystery Radio
- Sound Policy
Transformus Department of Mutant Vehicles
CLICK HERE for Mutant Vehicle Registration
Information and Guidelines
The mission of the Transformus Department of Mutant Vehicles (DMV) is to help participants share their motorized mobile contraptions with the community of Mysteria. DMV is in charge of licensing drivers, conducting safety inspections, and monitoring art cars and mobile art during the event. The DMV is tasked with maintaining the balance between satisfying the desires of mutant vehicle owners/enthusiasts and enforcing the rules and concerns of the landowner and the rest of the community. The purpose of this document is to inform mutated vehicle owners of the needs of the Transformus community, and convey the rules designed to help everyone have a safe and fun time.
What is a Mutant Vehicle?
A Mutant Vehicle is a unique artistic creation that exhibits motorized locomotion. It may be built from scratch, or be a mutated form of a stock vehicle that shows little or no resemblance to its original design. Mutant vehicles are radically, stunningly, and safely engineered to overwhelm the senses and inspire imagination. Some examples of successful mutant vehicles include: four wheel drive furniture, fire breathing dragons, wheeled boats, trackless trains, mechanical animals, or just about anything originating from human thought and effort. Mutant vehicles are transportation dreams actualized. The DMV makes sure that only truly mutated vehicles are roaming the streets of Mysteria.
Mutant Vehicle Licensing and Criteria
All non official vehicles driven within the borders of Mysteria during the event must be officially approved and licensed by the Transformus DMV.
How do you get a license?
- Meet the DMV’s mutant vehicle criteria
- Pre-register your mutant vehicle by April 27, 2016 through our pre-approval application form
- Onsite vehicle inspection by sanctioned DMV personnel at the event
Mutant Vehicle Criteria
In order to be eligible for a Mutant Vehicle license your vehicle must satisfy ALL of the following criteria:
- Minimum Mutation Level
If a stock vehicle has been mutated it must not be easy to recognize the original form. Personal golf carts must adhere to this criteria, even if they are rentals. Vehicles merely stripped to the frame and engine, or adorned with temporary decorations are not considered mutant vehicles and will be asked to leave off site.
If the convenience of personal transportation is your primary goal please rethink your intent! Transformus is walkable from end to end in less than 30 minutes. The primary factor for bringing a vehicle should be sharing your imaginative creation with the rest of the community. Ask yourself the following: how does your mutant vehicle add to the insanity of Mysteria? Does it inspire others to let go of reality, or remind them of mass produced, assembly line blandness?
Please refer all disability vehicles to our disability liaison – [email protected]. They will forward all vehicles to our team if approved.
- Vehicle Safety
Help keep us safe:
- Vehicles must not mimic any type of emergency service, or law enforcement vehicle.
- Vehicles must be able to maintain a steady speed of 5mph or less.
- Brakes must be in good working order and be able to stop vehicle while at top speed.
- No sharp protruding objects that might cause injury.
- Exhaust pipes near riders or pedestrians must be shielded.
- A fire extinguisher is highly recommended and required if vehicle has flame effects.
- Vehicle should strongly consider keeping a first aid kit on board.
- If vehicle allows riders it should have a safe access area and procedures for loading and unloading of passengers.
- When applicable the vehicle should have sturdy side railings and stair railings.
- Must have projected light in order to see in the way in front of the vehicle in dark places and for night driving.
For vehicles seeking to drive at night, basic lighting requirements must be met. Rear, front, and sides must be lit. All vehicle extremities must be lit. Anywhere someone would walk, step, or climb on the vehicle must be lit (especially stairs and ladders).
Vehicles must be pre-registered by April 27, 2016. Any vehicle not pre-registered WILL NOT BE APPROVED FOR THE EVENT! Pre-registration is a valuable tool for you to ensure your vehicle may be driven at the event. DMV personnel mentalhealthdrugs.com will review your submission form promptly and give you feedback about your design, which should give you plenty of time to make mutation changes before the event.
We admit that enforcing a minimum mutation level requirement for mutant vehicles will be difficult, and at times a bit subjective. We do not want to judge your art, we only want to preserve the integrity of the mutation experience for everyone, and promise to help you achieve this goal. It is very disappointing to bring a mutant vehicle from your home to Transformus, only to have it sit in the parking lot the whole weekend, because it did not pass inspection. Trust us, denying someone’s fun is equally as unsettling for the DMV staff who have to banish your vehicle as well.
Pre-registration of your mutant vehicle is done with two easy steps:
- Upload photos of your mutant vehicle to an image sharing site – imgur, flickr, a Facebook album with visibility set to ‘Everyone’. You will need to know the link for step 2.
- Fill out the pre-registration Google document with your mutant vehicle information linked above
License Plate Mounting
We will give you a license plate as part of the inspection – please have a place on the back of your mutant vehicle that can be used to mount the license. It will need to be visible to people behind the vehicle – please make the Rangers’ and security’s jobs easier so they can verify you’re okay to drive at the event.
Final licensing takes place at Transformus, and consists of the DMV Volunteer team and staff inspecting the final incarnation of your vehicle. When you are ready to start driving your mutant vehicle at Mysteria, make the DMV your very first stop. Any vehicles caught driving without a license CAN AND WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE EVENT. Mutant vehicles that incorporate flame effects will also need to be inspected by the Fire Response Team (FRT). FRT will inspect your vehicle’s Flame Effects (after the Department of Mutant Vehicles has approved your vehicle) to ensure you’ve followed all the requirements for safely constructing and operating the Flame Effects. Failure to pass this inspection will result in you not being allowed to operate the Flame Effect on your vehicle. This is in addition to the DMV inspecting your vehicle for its own licensing. (Here’s a link to the Flame Effect Guidelines)
The DMV inspectors will be available via radio – when it is time to get inspected, come to the main stage and ask Khaki to call for the DMV inspector. Someone will either be there or come by soon.
Mysteria Driving Rules
Anyone driving a mutant vehicle at Transformus must adhere to ALL the following driving rules:
- Abide by all applicable federal and North Carolina state laws, including all open container laws (no open containers within reach of the driver)
- Drive at a speed of 5 mph or less (less if kicking up dust, mud, water, or in hazardous situations such as tight crowds)
- Give the right of way to pedestrians, bicycles, and emergency service vehicles
- Follow the reasonable and applicable vehicle laws for road safety
- Stop immediately upon being hailed by any DMV staff member, Transformus Ranger, Security Personnel, or Law Enforcement Officer
- No driving under the influence of any intoxicant
- No driving on the roads when DPW closes them due to extreme weather
- Create a clear field of vision for the operator, including rear and side mirrors
- Have ground guides (walkers) if the vehicle is large, has a limited field of vision, or is dangerous to pedestrians
- Have a safe access area and procedures for loading and unloading passengers
- Clearly display the Mutant Vehicle license in a location specified by the DMV
- Any additional guidelines set forth Transformus DMV
Violation of any of the above rules may ultimately result in loss of driving privileges at Transformus. Severe or repeat violations will result in removal from the event, and possible citation from law enforcement agencies. Furthermore, owners or drivers that cannot follow our simple rules run the risk of not being admitted into future events and/or not be granted a license again.
News & Announcements
- Transformus 2017 Creativity Grant Applications Open!By Honeybadger on January 16, 2017